2018 TCS New York City Marathon to Feature Race Week Celebrations and Free Fan Experiences Across New York City
October 28 – November 4, 2018
The Marathon itself takes place on Sunday, November 4
New York, October 25, 2018 – New York Road Runners today announced a series of free fan and runner experiences across the city for the TCS New York City Marathon. Throughout race week, taking place from October 28 through November 4, runners, spectators, and the public can take part in numerous marathon festivities.
Immersive and interactive fan activations will be hosted at three different locations. Official locations that will celebrate the largest marathon in the world include the TCS New York City Marathon Expo Presented by New Balance at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center, the TCS New York City Marathon Pavilion just off of the iconic finish line near West 67th Street in Central Park, and the NYRR RUNCENTER featuring the New Balance Run Hub in midtown Manhattan.
A full schedule of race week activations across official TCS New York City Marathon locations is available online here.
TCS New York City Marathon Expo Presented by New Balance
The TCS New York City Marathon Expo Presented by New Balance returns to the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center on November 1, serving as the location for runners to pick up their race number and explore the latest running, health and wellness products and services. The expo, which is the largest running exhibition in the country and one of the top 10 health and fitness expos globally, will feature more than 130 exhibitors and approximately 125,000 attendees. New highlights include:
- NYRR Running Lab – The lab will offer valuable insight for runners including analysis, strategy and tools, the NYRR Race Predictor, coach-led course strategy sessions, and opportunities to meet the NYRR Pace Team Presented by Biofreeze, and the coaches behind NYRR Virtual Trainer.
- TCS New York City Marathon Video Game “Marathon City – Sprint to Win” – TCS will showcase their new interactive running video game where two players race on floor pads to see who can cross the Marathon finish line first. Additionally, game equipment is available for wheelchair participants.
- Official Marathon Collection by New Balance – The official marathon collection by New Balance will be available at the expo.
- Michelob ULTRA “LIVE ULTRA” Lounge – Michelob ULTRA will launch its new lounge, offering runners a chance to relax and have a cold Michelob ULTRA beer, and enjoy a variety of giveaways. Runners can also stop by for a chance to win the first bib of the 2019 Team ULTRA.
- Other notable activations and free giveaways from partners include United Airlines, BEDGEAR, Poland Spring, and Abbott, among others.
TCS New York City Marathon Pavilion
For the fourth year, the TCS New York City Marathon Pavilion will once again serve as an entertainment hub and welcome center. The TCS New York City Marathon Pavilion will feature a robust program of free events from October 28 through November 5. A series of free events hosted at the pavilion include:
- The Unifying Power of Sports – In honor of the 9/11 Memorial & Museum’s new exhibit Comeback Season: Sports After 9/11, a special edition NYRR RunTalk will feature U.S. marathon record-holder Deena Kastor and TCS New York City Marathon Race Director Peter Ciaccia recount their 2001 New York City Marathon experiences, and are joined by 2014 Boston Marathon winner Meb Keflezighi and 9/11 Memorial & Museum EVP and Deputy Director of Museum Programs Clifford Chanin to reflect on the healing and unifying power of sports after tragedy.
- NYRR Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony and Award Presentations – On November 1 at 4:00 p.m., the pavilion will host the NYRR Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, the Abebe Bikila Award and George Hirsch Journalism Award Presentations. Honorees include Martin Lel, Edith Wolf Hunkeler, Allison Roe, Peter Ciaccia, Deena Kastor (Abebe Bikila) and Don Kardong (George Hirsch).
- TCS New York City Marathon goIT App Competition – On November 1, TCS will once again invite local students to take part in an app concept competition through their flagship youth STEM program, goIT. goIT challenges students to create mobile app concepts to encourage people of all ages to live healthy lives. Finalists will present their concepts in front of a panel of judges and the winners will be invited to participate in various race week festivities.
- Marathon Monday – Runners and their friends and families can stop by Marathon Monday for official New Balance merchandise and finisher gear for sale, medal engraving by Fond Memories, official photo products from MarathonFoto, and the Hospital for Special Surgery Runner Recovery Zone.
- Tiffany & Co.’s Honor Your Marathon Collection, Samuel Rudin Tray, and Marathon Medallions will be on display at the Pavilion.
NYRR RUNCENTER Featuring the New Balance Run Hub
The NYRR RUNCENTER featuring the New Balance Run Hub is NYRR’s year-round home base for runners of all ages and abilities, offering the latest in running education, training and innovation, and offers a wide variety of footwear, apparel and accessories for purchase in the New Balance Run Hub. During race week, the NYRR RUNCENTER will host a variety of free events and programs including:
- RunTalks with professional runners Bernard Lagat, Juan Luis Barrios, Abdi Abdirahman, Beverly Ramos, Rafael Botello, running legends, and inspiring runners participating in this year’s TCS New York City Marathon.
- Course Strategy Sessions and Running History Tours – New this year, runners visiting from around the world can enjoy course strategy sessions and running history tours in a variety of different languages.
- 1 for You 1 for Youth – The NYRR RUNCENTER is home to 1 for You 1 for Youth*. During race week, for each pair of co-branded athletic shoes purchased at the NYRR RUNCENTER featuring the New Balance Run Hub or on the New Balance website, New Balance will donate a pair of shoes to NYRR’s free youth programs.
The NYRR RUNCENTER featuring the New Balance Run Hub is located at 320 West 57th Street. The NYRR RUNCENTER is open Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., and Sunday from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. The New Balance Run Hub is open Monday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., and Sunday from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. The full race week programming schedule is available online here.
About the TCS New York City Marathon
The TCS New York City Marathon is the largest marathon in the world and the signature event of New York Road Runners (NYRR), the world’s premier community running organization. The race is held annually on the first Sunday of November and includes over 50,000 runners, from the world’s top professional athletes to runners of all ages and abilities, including over 9,000 charity runners. Participants from approximately 140 countries tour the diverse neighborhoods of New York City’s five boroughs—Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, and Manhattan. Race morning also features the Rising New York Road Runners Youth Invitational at the TCS New York City Marathon, a race within Central Park that finishes at the same finish line being crossed hours later by the marathon field. More than one million spectators and 10,000 volunteers line the city’s streets in support of the runners, while millions more watch the globally televised broadcast. The race is a founding member of the Abbott World Marathon Majors, which features the world’s top marathons—Tokyo, Boston, London, Berlin, Chicago, and New York. Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), a leading global IT services, consulting, and business solutions organization, is the premier partner of NYRR and the title sponsor of the TCS New York City Marathon. The 48th running of the TCS New York City Marathon is set for November 4, 2018. To learn more, visit www.tcsnycmarathon.org.
*For every pair of New Balance and New York Road Runners co-branded athletic shoes sold to a customer via New Balance’s website (www.newbalance.com), New Balance and NYRR shall donate a pair of shoes to a New York Road Runners supported youth program. This promotion shall run from October 14, 2018 through November 11, 2018.