Brooklyn Music School Kicks Off 2017-18 School Year
Brooklyn Music School (BMS) offers private lessons, group music classes, dance classes, and after school programs, among other initiatives, on a year-round basis for children of all ages. BMS is located at 126 Felix Street, Brooklyn, NY.
“At Brooklyn Music School, we have a unique focus on making music and performing arts education accessible to the broadest possible audiences, from toddlers learning their first musical notes to adults playing violin for the first time to pre-professional vocal students seeking a springboard to major opera roles,” said Piruz Partow, executive director of BMS. “The school has grown by more than 30 percent each year for the past five years, and we are continue to seek new ways to make music and performing arts a vital part of experience and education for all ages.”
This year, the school furthers its commitment with several new programs:
- BMS will hold free Music and Dance Discovery Days throughout the year, at which families can explore a broad range of instruments, musical traditions, and dance styles to give an initial exposure and gauge their children’s interest and readiness;
- The non-profit organization is expanding the range of group music offered to provide a very affordable way to begin studying an instrument and offering free music theory courses.
- Free workshops and masterclasses with world-class musicians will be offered to give students a chance to learn from musicians at the top of their professions.
- The opera program is expanding to feature new works by living composers.
BMS provides students at all age of experience to work in a highly tailored, one-on-one environment for guitar, drums, strings, voice, and wind instruments with world-class instructors across a range of musical traditions. The faculty has trained at the most respected music schools and conservatories in the world and brings a wealth of professional performance experience that informs their teaching and technique. Private lessons allow teachers to tailor their instruction to the needs, abilities, and learning style of the individual students.
Group Music Classes:
Available for children aged three to eight years old, group classes at BMS offer a fun and affordable way to introduce students to guitar, piano or voice in introductory, collaborative way. There are many social benefits as well. Besides the instructor, students often learn from each other and may prefer to perform with their peers rather than solo.
Dance at BMS encourages children to express the joy of movement with some live music in a fun and safe environment. A variety of dance styles are offered, including Ballet, Creative Movement, Contemporary, Jazz, Hip Hop, Tap Dance, and African Dance and Drumming for Children. BMS believes a diverse dance education is the hallmark of a strong and well-rounded dancer. The dance classes at BMS are based on the American Ballet Theatre’s (ABT) National Training curriculum outline and the expertise of the faculty. All dance faculty members are required to have a degree in higher education or equivalent professional experience. The ballet faculty members are required to be certified in ABT’s National Training Curriculum. Faculty provides face-to-face contact with parents and encourages continuous communication. Parents receive an overview of the annual curriculum to ensure quality and awareness of the dancers’ education. Additionally, BMS offers detailed assessments twice a year for each dancer that includes parent observation weeks to observe the dancers during class. This will showcase the progress of the class and how much the dancers have grown. BMS believes young performers flourish with opportunities to share their hard work, talent and unique abilities on stage with an audience. Dancers at BMS will have numerous opportunities to perform each year including formal dance recitals, collaborations with the Musical Theater and Opera programs and many more in between!
After School Program:
Arts Reaching Youth (ARY), offers a range of creative options with classes in music, dance, theater, and the performing arts, along with homework support and healthy snacks. BMS offers free after school pick up from selected schools, and our location in Brooklyn’s cultural district makes us convenient for families with kids in grades K-5 from around Brooklyn. When students participate in ARY they have the opportunity to join in group music classes, dance classes, join ensembles such as Rock Band or the Orchestra, or even develop their Musical Theater skills.
The Brooklyn Music School views music and performance as the birthright of all people, an essential way that human beings connect with others and explore their creativity. The study of music has been demonstrated to enhance academic learning and helps to develop discipline and confidence that will serve children well throughout their lives. As part of the vision of reinventing the community music school for the 21st Century, BMS is dedicated to:
* Making high quality musical instruction approachable and affordable to a wide range of students,
* Creating frequent opportunities for performance for our students and cultural enrichment for our community,
* Representing a wide range of musical traditions, including European, African, Middle Eastern, and American to represent the diversity of Brooklyn’s musical talent, and
* Offering a warm and welcoming space for families and individuals to explore new talents and make lasting friendships.
For more information, visit www.brooklynmusicschool.org.