Mayor de Blasio Reminds New Yorkers that Free Meals Will Be Available While Schools Are Closed
During his press conference today, NYC Mayor de Blasio reminded folks that free meals would still be available to those in need of nourishment while the school system is closed to in-person learning.
“For families that need food, and as this crisis unfortunately deepens again, and the federal support hasn’t come, the stimulus hasn’t come, a lot of families need those grab and go meals from our schools, they will be provided continually at our schools, even as schools are closed for a period of time, the food service folks – I want to thank the food service workers who are doing amazing work – they will continue to provide food for families who need them, and that will be free, of course, so that will continue, and as the Chancellor always says, all children are learning today and we’ll continue to learn in this all remote phase, and we will continue to do this work to get our schools back as quickly as possible,” said the Mayor.
New York City Twitter Page featured the following alert:
— City of New York (@nycgov) November 19, 2020
The following comes from the official page here…
Starting Thursday, November 19, 2020
New York City is committed to making free meals available daily for all New Yorkers. While school buildings are closed, students and families can go to nearby school buildings for takeout meals. Additionally, any New Yorker can receive free meals available at locations across the city.
- All families and students can continue to go to any school building (Open external link) between 9:00 am and noon on the weekdays to pick up three free grab-and-go meals.
- No identification or registration is necessary.
- Halal and kosher meals are available at selected sites, listed below.
- Members of the community can pick up meals from 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday (Open external link)at locations across the city(Open external link). Please view the DOE calendar for more information
- Meals are not available to the general public at any other time
- No registration or ID required
- Multiple meals can be picked up at once
There will be no food service available on the following dates. November 26th (Thanksgiving), December 25th (Christmas Day) and January 1st (New Year’s Day)
There will be food service available on the following dates from 3pm to 5pm. November 27th (Friday after Thanksgiving), December 24th (Christmas Eve) and December 28th-31st (Including New Year’s Eve)